If you have Voice-over-internet-protocol (VOIP) capability, you will be able to use Microsoft Lync online communications software for voice calls within organization. If you have webcam available you can also use video call just as easily.
i. Calling using Lync
You can start a phone call with one click. Go to your contacts list, place your mouse cursor over the name and click [Call].
ii. Answering or rejecting Lync call
1. When someone is calling you, an incoming call alert is displayed in the lower-right hand corner of your computer screen. To answer the call, click anywhere in the alert.
2. If you would like to redirect the call to an instant message, click on redirect or click on decline the call. If you are receiving a call during a busy time at work and need to redirect the call to ‘Do Not Disturb’, click on the [Redirection] button and select ‘Do not Disturb’.
iii. Conversation Subject
1. Place your cursor over the contact and click on the dropdown menu.
2. Once the dropdown menu is open, type in the conversation subject. You may choose to use the exclamation mark to show importance.
3. Click on [Lync Call] and the conversation subject and the importance will show on the recipient’s window.
vi. Video Call on Lync
1. If your computer has web cam available, right click on the contact and select ‘Start a video call’.
TIP *** You can choose to place your preview anywhere by clicking and dragging. By right clicking you can hide, expand, pop out and view a full screen of your preview.