Retention policies are part of messaging records management (MRM) technology that is available with Microsoft Exchange Server 2010. MRM makes things easier to comply with organization policy, government regulations, or legal needs, and to remove content that no longer has legal or business value. Organizations create default retention policies for all mail items in an Exchange Server mailbox, specific policies for default folders.
i. Assign a retention policy to an email folder
1. Go to a navigation pane and click a mail folder.
2. Go to [Folder] tab -> [Properties] group, and then click [Policy].
3. From your [Policy] tab -> go to [Folder Policy] and then click an entry based on your organization’s guidelines.
ii. Assign a retention policy to email messages
1. Click a message from the message list then go to [Message] tab -> [Tags] group -> click [Assign Policy].
2. Under [Retention Policy], click an entry based on your organization’s guidelines.
iii. Remove a retention policy
When you remove a retention policy from an email message, the folder policy applies to the item, if one is assigned.
1. Click a message from the message list, then go to [Home] tab -> [Tags] group -> click [Assign Policy].
2. Under [Retention Policy], click [Use Folder Policy].